So, we are almost through the first week of 2017! Did you make any goals for the year? I sure did, and I am going to share them with you below shortly.
I am definitely a goal maker at heart, this can be a good thing and a bad thing. For most of my life, I could say that it was probably a bad thing. Combining my perfectionistic personality and lengthy unattainable goals it has been a recipe for disaster and self-condemnation. Resulting in too many years of anxiety and worry.
I had a horrible realization when I started binge watching my new guilty pleasure Hart of Dixie.
I am a Lemon! ( Ok so if you never watched this show, which you MUST. You probably think I sound crazy about now. But for those of you, that watched it, you totally get what I am about to say.)
I am not the awesome confident Lemon after George. I have become Stepford wife, NO FUN Lemon Breeland. Uggggg, it is a sad realization to come to! I remember looking at my husband after the first few episodes in horror saying, ” Ohh my gosh, I’m Lemon, Ohh… no… I am Lemon!”
Don’t worry, change is coming!
This year is going to be different. This year is my year of GRACE.
I know people usually pick a word of the year, that has been all the rage. One word that will all encompass what they want to accomplish and focus on. This year I chose two words.
Simplify and Serve.
I have been in my head for far too long, making lists for the future. Always trying to do better, be better.
Lists… Schedules… Planning…lists.
Organizing my lists in a homemaking binder for planning.
Yeah, so I might be a tad bit neurotic. Unfortunately, in all this “Planning”, I lost the living! Always trying to take control of everything by writing it all down, scheduling it and saying to myself,
” I will get it right tomorrow!”
“I will try harder, this is the time I will get it right.”
” I will do this when….”
” If I only can get this under control, I can do that ( Insert enjoyable activity)”
I am always going to be a list maker, but it’s what I do with the lists that matter.
This has gone on for well…..about 9 years. Ever since my first baby was born and June Cleaver syndrome slapped me in the face. I wanted to DO. IT. ALL. with an apron and pearls on ! ( Ok, so I still love the apron and pearls, plus some obnoxious red lipstick.) but, I realized I can’t possibly do it all. God did not ask me to do it all.
This week has been the first week in YEARS I have been feeling content with myself. Like, really super content. God has given me PEACE! I prayed about what I wanted to accomplish for the year and asked Him to guide me and do things in His will not my own.
“So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.
This is the bible verse that I claim this year!
We have today mama! TODAY! Let me repeat that, ” We only have today, so focus on TODAY!”
Do the next thing, and then when you do the next thing, look to the next thing and do it well. Do not be preoccupied with the “To-do list”. Now, I am not saying don’t be prepared. I will always have goals and a plan, but in the planning don’t lose sight of the living.
Spend time with your sweet babies, then wash the dishes. Sit your littles on your lap and read them a book, notice their smile, giggle and how their eyes light up when you give them undistracted, undivided attention. Take delight in it. Then go vacuum the floor. Get up early to make your husband breakfast and do a devotion together. Then throw in a load of laundry. Have a cup of coffee. Listen to your favorite podcast. Throw a coat on and take the kiddos for a walk in the crisp winter air.
Balance your day with responsibility and delight. Do not wait for the delight. Because as a mother, you will ALWAYS have the responsibility. Your to-do list will NEVER be done. But those little ones will grow before your eyes.
I have deep regrets. Too many ” I will play that game after I do this chore.” Wasted time I could have been pouring life and love to those dearest to my heart.
Too much Facebook not enough snuggles.
Pinning would-be moments instead of making the moments.
I kept telling myself ” When I just get this done.”
“Wherever you are, be all there! Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God.”
This is the year, that I will serve my family and friends. I will simplify my expectations of myself and lean on GOD for my guidance. Lean on Him for my to-do list. I will choose relationships over productivity. Passions over passivity.
I will be all there.
( This post contains affiliate links, for my full disclosure policy click here.)
My 2017 Simplify & Serve Goals
- Make studying my bible my TOP priority.
- Keep up with my prayer journal.
- Do the Ecclesiastes: Wisdom For Living Well: An In-depth Bible Study
- Focus more on serving him and doing things that bring JOY to our marriage. Don’t just fall into the daily parental duties. Try to have FUN!
- Read one marriage building book together. ( For Better or for Kids: A Vow to Love Your Spouse with Kids in the House )
- Continue our weekly at home date, monthly away date and yearly weekend getaway.
- Make him breakfast before work and do a devotion * Remember that loving him means waking up at 5:30 a.m.* ( I am a horrible morning person, but this blesses my husband)
- Make focused time a priority.
- Say “YES” more.
- Simplify and just give them me.
- Look them in the eyes.
- Compliment them on good behavior more.
- PLAY and LAUGH. Let them see JOY.
- Learn to golf ( this also goes along with having fun with my hubby!)
- Watercolor more
- Reboot my wardrobe, hair, and makeup. Make dressing well a priority for myself and for my hubby!
- Drink my water, take a multivitamin and probiotic, exercise at least 3x a week. Choose more veggies and go back to being carb conscious, not low carb.
- Give myself a break! Rest when I need rest. Learn to relax again.
- Focus on reading 26 life giving books from start to finish this year. ( I will post more on this later in the month.) I am currently reading this book to start of my 2017 reading.
- Improve my grammar by taking a course. The irony of having a blog and being TERRIBLE and I do mean TERRIBLE at grammar does not escape me. I am aware of my faults in this area! I will make it right, and if I don’t will pay for the full subscription to Grammarly hahaha!
- Continue to budget with Andy weekly
- Create a Christmas savings starting in June.
- Budget envelopes for our year when we get back our tax return. Don’t fritter money away!
- Finish master bedroom overhaul
- Print and hang more photos ( blow up black and whites, spray paint dollar tree frames)
- Reboot the kiddos’ rooms ( Chair, bookshelf, bunkbeds, throw rugs. Cozy it up and make it warm and inviting!)
Extended Family and Friends
- Make a point to get together with Andy’s cousins.
- Make a point to regularly get the kiddos and their cousins together.
- Once a month ask one of our extended family over for dinner.
- Call my grandmother daily or every other day.
- Take my grandmother out to tea. Take pizza over for her and just hang out.
- Plan a ” Girls day out” with my mother, grandmother, and my girls.
- Make time to go out with my brother and each one of our parents individually to lunch.
- Call my brother once a week to catch up on what’s going on with him.
- Send more written notes. Focus on encouraging people when I see them doing something amazing.
- Start up the summer park play group again.
- Try to get out for regular girls night outs with my tribe of homeschool mama weirdos!
- Grow my facebook page to 1000 followers
- Be consistent about sending my Friday newsletter
- Get 100 subscribers to my newsletter
- Try to Facebook live even though you are SCARED.
I know I will not accomplish all of these goals, but I am so very proud of them. They are relational goals, goals that will make a difference in the lives of my husband, children, and family. I pray that God uses me this year.
Minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day.
Choosing JOY and being all there.
Doing His work in the extraordinary ordinary days that He blesses me with.
Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.
What are your goals for this year? Did you pray over them? I would love to hear from you!